[Samba] How to use ldapsam only for authentication?

Meike Stone meike.stone at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 28 21:30:55 UTC 2016

Hello,

> As far as I understood you are using ldapsam only when Samba is running as
> AD domain controller.

it is only a standalone server, no sid/gid (mapping) needed. All users
and groups are local (passwd/groups) maintained.
We only want to authenticate the users against the ldap server
(openDJ). No Active Directory is used.

But if I configure, there are a lot (to much) ldap searches/request,
that only waste time and cpu. The requesting smbd process does not get
back a usable (empty) result. So i think, then (after ldap search) the
smbd process asks the system and get the proper information.
Samba is running well in this configuration.

I'm looking for a way to disable this ldap request, because at the
moment are only a few files on the server, but I want migrate  Windows
file servers on it. So I'm afraid that the performance of the samba
will go down and my ldap server will collapse.

Thanks Meike