[Samba] [samba4] DNS updates

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jan 28 10:05:22 UTC 2016

On 28/01/16 09:11, mathias dufresne wrote:
> No replication this morning but FSMO was rebooted yesterday. Only joined DC
> were rebooted.
>
> After verifying all A records related to new DC were created, I forced
> creation of replication related DNS entries as described there :
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Check_and_fix_DNS_entries_on_DC_joins#Resolve_the_objectGUID_CNAME_record_of_the_new_joined_Domain_Controller
>
> I forced replication (drs replicate) from a replicated DC to all 10 new DC
> and also force replication in the other way. All drs replicate commands
> worked well.
>
> Back to newly joined DC I launched samba_dnsupdate, on 10 DC this command
> failed on 9 DC with mesage: "update failed: NOTAUTH". I rebooted all joined
> DC and samba_dnsupdate worked well on them.
>
> This gave time to Samba to replicate things around and now all things goes
> well.
>
> Joining new DC is still a bit tricky in my opinion. Hoping this would work
> better with 4.4.x
>
> Cheers,
>
> mathias

When you provision a domain, all the dns records are created during the
provision, but when you join a DC to a domain they aren't. You need to
restart Samba on the newly joined DC, once Samba is restarted,
samba_dnsupdate will be run, this reads the file 'dns_update_list' and
then adds (if needed) the records it finds in the file. If you do not
restart Samba, the dns records do not get added and your problems start.

Rowland