[Samba] Windows 10 administrative templates /central store with Samba

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Mon Jan 25 18:01:46 UTC 2016

On 25.01.2016 17:04, Ole Traupe wrote:

> On 25.01.2016 14:13, Viktor Trojanovic wrote:
>> Hi Ole,
>>
>> Unless you want to add functionality that is new since 1511, I don't
>> think that's necessary.
>
> I have already added a Win10 machine to a domain, where only Win7
> clients were joined before that. I have managed this domain from Win7
> only, so far. Therefore I believe that e.g. the Windows Update policy
> is not fit for Win10. Before today there was no central policy store.
>
> Ole

No, this shouldn't be an issue. Whatever already worked while you
managed the policy using a Win7 machine will continue to work. That's
completely independent of the central store. Only if this specific
policy has some additional tweaks that only work on Windows 10, you
might profit from editing the policy again now to include those tweaks.

I think you're still not fully understanding the purpose of the central
store. Every windows client contains a full set of administrative
templates, for its own version. So, on Windows 7 you have a set for
Windows 7, on Windows 10 you have a set for Windows 10, and so on. The
set for Windows 10 will always include everything that Windows 7 had to
offer, plus some additional functionality. So, that's why you need to
*either* run the RSAT from a Windows 10 machine if you wish to manage
Windows 10 (and other) clients in the domain, *or* you put the templates
in the central store and then you can manage Windows versions that are
higher than where you have installed RSAT.

Hope it's clearer now :)

Viktor

--
*Viktor Trojanovic*