[Samba] troubleshoot samba - Could not convert sid - problem

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 25 17:53:43 UTC 2016

On 25/01/16 17:30, ML Wong wrote:
> Environment: try to join and setup simple file-share in a sub-domain off
> from an AD forest which operates under 2008R2 forest, and domain functional
> level; while keeping primary domain for SSH remote logins
>
> Samba is running Version 3.6.23-24.el6_7 running on CentOS6.7. RPM based
>
> 'net ads join -k' , 'net ads keytab list', 'net testjoin -k' reflected
> positive results. I can successfully join to the forest without any issues.
> i also ran 'net ads status -k' to verify if a machine account can be
> queried from the member server.
>
>   For example, When i ran 'wbinfo -n DOMAIN2\\user1`, i can get a SID back
> without issues. And, based on my privileges in AD, i can verify the SID is
> equal as what i can see from ADUC. But, when i ran 'wbinfo -i
> DOMAIN\\user1', i always get "Could not convert sid [the-long-SID]
> NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER" error in my samba.log (which i specify in my
> smb.conf). I ran a series of Google search, most of the searches tell me
> pointed out that this is mostly related to the "idmap" mis-configuration.
> Each time i changed the range for idmap, i would 'net cache flush', and
> '/bin/rm /var/lib/samba/*.tdb', and restarted nmb, smb, and winbind. But,
> obviously, changing different ranges does not really help with our
> environment.
>
> Below is my smb.conf (with fake domain-names), can i ask where i should
> look at for my troubleshooting: Any pointers and opinions will be
> appreciated.
>
> ###
>
> # Global Setting
>
> ###
>
> [global]
>
> realm = DOMAIN2.REGION2.MS.LOCAL
>
> workgroup = DOMAIN2
>
> netbios name = FS02
>
> security = ADS
>
> kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>
> encrypt passwords = yes
>
> #
>
> idmap config * : backend = tdb
>
> idmap config * : range  = 1000000-9999999
>

> idmap config DOMAIN2 : base_rid = 1000
>
> idmap config DOMAIN2 : backend = rid
>
> idmap config DOMAIN2 : range = 10000-999999
>
> invalid users = root
>
> #
>
> winbind nss info = rfc2307
>
> winbind trusted domains only = no
>
> winbind refresh tickets = yes
>
> winbind enum users = no
>
> winbind enum groups = no
>
> winbind nested groups = yes
>
> #
>
> load printers = no
>
> printcap name = /dev/null
>
> #
>
> # Logging
>
> #
>
> log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
>
> log level  = 9
>
> max log size = 1048576
>
> ###
>
> # Share Definitions
>
> ###
>
> [testshare]
>
> comment = samba cifs share test only
>
> path = /opt/software

> [...]

OK, you have this in your smb.conf:

workgroup = DOMAIN2

You also say <i ran 'wbinfo -n DOMAIN2\\user1`, i can get a SID back>,
you also say < i ran 'wbinfo -i DOMAIN\\user1'>
Is this a typo ? if not, I think this is your problem. smb.conf is setup
to obtain the info for DOMAIN2 and will ignore DOMAIN as it is not its
workgroup.

Rowland