[Samba] showrepl is showing a deleted connexion

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Fri Jan 22 15:05:10 UTC 2016

Hi Jordi,

How is it going up there in Normandie?

> I have seen in an old post that you have tested new KCC from full mesh to bridge head at a french school.
> Is your "drs showrepl" correct on such DC's ?
>
> In my case, a drs showrepl is showing a full mesh on inbound and outbound (not good) but only 1 KCC connection objects (good)
> Where is a full description of my trouble: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-December/196844.html

KCC does not remove existing outdated kcc objects by itself (or didn't,
if it has been changed in more recent versions). I had a chat with
Douglas about this a while back. However it should remove your
repsfrom/repsto attribute, unless you messed up the thing (I did once).
I also had in the past repsfrom/repsto pointing to deleted NTDSDSA
entries with the \0ADEL string.

Before asking samba_kcc to buildup the connexions, you have to define
the sites, put the DC in the correct site, remove the site from de
default_ip_link, and set up a link for each remote site to main site.
Actually the bridge head thing does not seem necessary to get the thing
working. With such a configuration, samba_kcc does build only the
necessary connexions, and by reading you post, it seems that you did it
properly, so that sounds good.

If you still have spurious repsfrom/repsto, I don't know if there is
another way to get rid it other than ldbedit'ing... By the way, did you
check in the _msdcs DNS zone that you don't have leftover CNAME entries
of your old servers?

In order to finish the setup, be sure to setup the subnet properly in
order for all windows to contact their nearest DCs. After having created
the sites, double check that all the _kerberos/_ldap entries under
_sites  are properly created in the DNS server (sometime, they aren't).
After, you can check on a windows desktop at different site that it
knows on which site it is located in the windows registry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
, check the value DynamicSiteName, and on a cmd.exe check the env
variable LOGONSERVER

Another hint: if you set up a star topology where remote sites cannot
see each others (especially if you have DROP/no_ip_unreachable firewall
rules), then you have also to be careful that during the process of
joining a new DC, the join process reads /etc/krb5.conf file and tries
to contact all the DC that are referenced, and thus if you use DNS SRV
records to resolv kdc addresses, it will try to contact all the servers.
In that case, you have to specify manually the kdc in that
/etc/krb5.conf file and not rely on the automatic DNS discovery.

Another corner case is that when having more than 40-50 kdc in the
domain, you may encounter another bug with /etc/krb5.conf file with
automatic KDC discovery through DNS SRV records, it looks like it is
just too much for libkrb5. In that case, you should also disable DNS
automatic kerberos discovery and specify a few useful kdc addresses in
the krb5.conf file by hand.

Cheers,

Denis

> Best  regards

>>> Settings\0ADEL:1e23b3de-ae49-406d-bd33-e233b168945c,CN=DC540\0ADEL:ce