[Samba] Windows 10 administrative templates /central store with Samba

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Thu Jan 21 16:16:07 UTC 2016

Hi Ole,

I've been using Samba with Win10 clients for a while now, so I'm happy
to share some of my findings.

See comments inline.

On 21.01.2016 15:39, Ole Traupe wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> This might or might not be a Samba related post. Feel free to ignore
> it in case it is too far off-topic
>
> My current understanding is that ...
> a) I need those new templates in order to fully integrate Win10
> clients in an AD domain (i.e. with compatible policies).
As long as you have your RSAT installed on a Win10 machine, you actually
don't need to install the templates to the sysvol store. The purpose of
the template store is that multiple admins working from various machines
with different versions of windows can always access all capabilities.

> b) I can only modify policies based on Win10 admx files from Win10
> machines (i.e. with the RSAT tools for Win10).

See above. The purpose of installing the ADMX to the central store is
that you can modify policies for Win10 also from a Win7 machine.

> Are there any Samba-related implications or issues on doing that,
> particularly if I follow the MS advice to store those admx files in a
> central store in the SYSVOL (\PolicyDefinitions) folder?

I did that, and have no issues.

> Also, are there any implications for existing domains with e.g. Win7
> clients? Is it advised to keep Win7 and Win10 in separate containers?

No, there should be no issues. The only thing you have to remember is
that settings which are specific to Win10 will obviously not have any
effect on Win7 machines.

> I remember that somebody here reported issues with his/her existing
> Samba domain after having used the RSAT tools for Win10. But I am not
> able to find this post again. Does somebody remember or is able to
> tell how to avoid such (or other) trouble?

No issues. I did report a few but eventually found out they were not
related to the RSAT, or to Samba.

> Also, Viktor Trojanovic and Robert Watson reported the same error
> message on administering a domain from Win10 with RSAT in the midst of
> November. Have you been able to understand/solve it?
>
> "Group Policy Management: A processing error occured collecting data
> using this base domain controller. Please change the base domain
> controller and try again."

You'll get that error message when you click on the domain in the forest
shown in RSAT. You can simply ignore it, it's not an actual issue.
> Ole

Viktor