[Samba] Cannot write to home directory, but I can write to subfolder

Nico De Ranter nico.deranter at esaturnus.com
Thu Jan 21 09:24:43 UTC 2016

I have a storage server running samba 3.6.6 on Debian. Unfortunately I
cannot easily upgrade samba as this is a production server.  The server is
a member of a Samba-based domain, unix users are still handled by NIS.

When I logon to a Windows 7 pc (also part of the domain) with my own user
my homedirectory is automatically available as H:\. I can see the content
of the directory but when I try to write anything I get "You need
permission to perform this action".  On unix I have no problem creating
files in that same folder.  The same goes for any existing subdirectories.

I created a folder with 777 permissions. When I try to create a folder
inside that folder from Windows the action succeeds. When I look at the new
folder from unix the user and group are the same as the other folders,
permissions are set to 755. The only difference is that there is a default
ACL
    default:user::rwx
    default:group::rwx
    default:other::r-x
(which I do not like actually as this means that anything I create from
unix in that folder now gets default permission 775, ugh).
Setting that same ACL on my homedirectory doesn't change a thing, I am
still unable to create any files or folders in my homedirectory.  I am
however able to create files and folders in the subdirectory I created from
windows.

Fortunately most other users can create files in their homedirectories
without problems.

Any idea what could be causing this and how to resolve it?

Rebooting the server is not an option.

Nico

--
Nico De Ranter