[Samba] Change user Password with smbpasswd

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 19 21:20:53 UTC 2016

See inline comments:

On 19/01/16 20:43, Stefan Kania wrote:

> Am 19.01.16 um 19:38 schrieb Rowland penny:
>> On 19/01/16 17:24, Stefan Kania wrote:
>>>
>>> "samba-tool user setpassword" works fine, but I don't want all
>>> "normal" Users to connect to the Domaincontroller to change
>>> their password.
>> Hang on, you don't want your users to connect to the place where
>> their passwords are stored ????
> No, why should they, the Windows-users don't have to connect to the
> Domaincontroller to change their password, they can do it on their
> machine.

Yes, they do it on their machines by connecting to a DC and changing it
there.

Unless you are confusing a local user with a domain user.

> So it should be the same on a Linux-client. The user
> authenticate on his client and should change his password on it.

Ah no, a Unix user still authenticates to the DC and that it is where it
must change the password.

> The
> user should not do an ssh-connection to the DC to change his password.

Again you do not need to use ssh to change a users password, you can,
but why would you.

> On a DC I have no shares no printers so no user must access the DC.

Wrong, what about sysvol and netlogon.

Rowland