[Samba] Unable to set SeDiskOperatorPrivilege

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jan 15 12:24:57 UTC 2016

On 15/01/16 12:08, Henry McLaughlin wrote:

> On 15 January 2016 at 22:28, Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org
> <mailto:rpenny at samba.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 15/01/16 11:12, Henry McLaughlin wrote:
>

>             Have you by any chance given Administrator a uidNumber ?
>

>         Yes, 10000
>
>         Was that wrong?
>

>     Well, in my opinion, yes. By giving Administrator a uidNumber, you
>     have, as far as Unix is concerned, turned it into a normal user
>     that doesn't have the rights to do anything.
>
>     Is this on a DC ? if so, remove the uidNumber and it should start
>     working again, if it is a domain member, again remove the
>     uidNumber and add this line to smb.conf
>
>     username map = /etc/samba/samba_usermapping
>
>     Create the file '/etc/samba/samba_usermapping' with this content:
>
>     !root = SAMDOM\Administrator SAMDOM\administrator
>
>     Replace 'SAMDOM' with your workgroup
>
>     This will map 'Administrator' to the Unix 'root' user
>
>     Rowland
>     --
>

> Thanks Rowland this worked however I am totally confused as to when a
> Windows User/Groups needs to be given a UNIX id in ADUG. Is there a
> reference out the I can read, study & understand?

It is fairly simple, on a DC, users are mapped to (via idmap.ldb) Unix
automatically. On a domain member, you have a choice of backends, but
the two main ones are 'rid' & 'ad'. The 'rid' backend works similar
(from an initial view point) to the DC and maps the users & groups to
Unix. The 'ad' backend is different, any user that you want to be
visible to Unix must be given a uidNumber attribute, this number must be
inside the range that is set in smb.conf, you must also give Domain
Users (at least) a gidNumber attribute, this must also be inside the
range set in smb.conf, if you want any other groups to be visible to
Unix, these also must be given a gidNumber.

Any user or group that is visible to Unix, works just like any other
Unix user or group and only has the permissions you assign to them.

Rowland