[Samba] problems with initial install, simple server config

Andy Smith a.smith at ldex.co.uk
Fri Jan 15 10:19:04 UTC 2016

Hi list,

  I'm attempting my first ever install of Samba4, my requirements are
pretty simple: I just need the quickest easiest way to get a standalone
server for use as a Windows file server with password aging and password
complexity rules.

My OS is FreeBSD 10.2 running on ZFS, samba from binary package
samba43-4.3.3.

I've had a google for some guides and I've been using the steps here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Provisioning_the_Samba_Active_Directory

However when I run the interactive provisioning I'm getting this error
when provisioning as a DC:

Setting up self join
ERROR(<class 'samba.provision.ProvisioningError'>): Provision failed -
ProvisioningError: Your filesystem or build does not support posix ACLs,
which s3fs requires. Try the mounting the filesystem with the 'acl'
option.

If I try provisioning as a standalone I get no errors but after
provisioning Winbind doesn't seem to work. Ie:

[root at samba1 ~]# wbinfo -p
Ping to winbindd succeeded
[root at samba1 ~]# wbinfo -u
Error looking up domain users
[root at samba1 ~]# wbinfo --user-info=andys
failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not get info for user andys

Grateful for any advise,

thanks, Andy.