[Samba] Samba AD/DC, Single-Sign-On, domain users cannot change password

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jan 15 10:28:14 UTC 2016

On 15/01/16 05:21, Mark Foley wrote:
> You answer piles of questions on this list, so you may not remember,
> but you helped me set this whole domain-member/single logon thing last
> October. The only thing you had me change with the as-installed PAM
> configuration was to add to /etc/pam.d/common-account: session
> required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0002 I also found I
> needed to change a line in /etc/pam.d/common-password to: password
> [success=3 default=ignore] pam_krb5.so minimum_uid=10000 (instead of
> minimum_uid=1000) in order to have my non-domain local users be able
> to change their passwords using passwd. If there is a PAM file I can
> post to verify it's correctness, I'd be happy to do that.

You are right, I don't remember :-)

Also good catch with the pam_krb5 line change, this is something I
wasn't aware of, it has other repercussions, if you want to create a
local user and don't specify a uid, it will get a uid in the '10000'
range, not a good idea.

>> OK, I use Mate on debian wheezy and after a bit of testing, I have found
>> that you can change a users AD password with the gdm3 login manager.
> I will investigate gmd3 and post back results.  I am using Cinnamon on Ubuntu 15.10, but I
> suppose it should work.

It works on Debian wheezy with Mate, I have these pam packages installed:

libpam-winbind libpam-krb5 libnss-winbind

With these, I have 'passwd' changing AD passwords (I wrote a YAD script
for this) and using gdm3, when a user tries to login with an expired
password, they are asked to change it.
I have also set the minimum password age to '0'

Rowland