[Samba] Samba AD/DC, Single-Sign-On, domain users cannot change password

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Fri Jan 15 05:31:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, January 14, 2016 Sketch wrote:

> I type "passwd" in a shell, and it works as it should. One thing I note is
> that it only asks me for my kerberos password if i fail to enter my
> password correctly.

Not for me. I *always* get the kerberos password prompt. I have the minimum_uid=10000 in
/etc/pam.d/common-password above which are my domain users. Anyway, would passwd know how to
change a domain user not in the /etc/passwd file?

> Rowland's suggestion that your PAM configuration is incorrect seems like a
> good possibility here.

Rowland helped me set PAM up in the first place and I've asked him for advice on what might be
wrong.

I agree with you about the "Password and Keys" function, it doesn't let you actually change
your user login password. In fact, I don't really see the use for this utility at all.

I wonder how normal at-home Cinnamon desktop users change their actual login password? Surely
there must be a way. I'm too new with all this GUI desktop stuff to know the answer.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to research Rowland's suggested gdm3 and post back results.

--Mark