[Samba] Question with new Samba 4.3's Improved KCC

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jan 14 23:26:34 UTC 2016

hi Jordi,

Sorry I missed this message earlier.

> Here is my network's topology :
>
> -          DC : smb4dc located on Default-First-site-Name
>
> -          DC : dc110 located on PetitQuevilly
>
> -          DC : dc113 located on SaintEtienne
>
> -          DC : dc120 located on Barentin
>
> -          Etc.... (total of 15 DC)
>
> I want smb4dc acting as a bridge head for all others sites, and all
> others sites DC replicating only with sm4dc (not sending anything to
> each others)

To get the KCC to understand a spoke and hub topology like this (or
any other topology for that matter) you can create sitelinks including
the sites you want to talk to each other. So in this case you would
have 14 sitelinks, each containing "Default-First-site-Name" and one
other site. After that you should not need to manually create or
delete any connections. You also shouldn't need to do most of this:

> This is what i have done :
>
> -  Sites and services MMC : put prefered bridgehead transport IP for smb4dc
>
> -  Add kccsrv:samba_kcc=true on each DC configuration (smb4dc too)
>
> -  Restart all samba
>
> -  Sites and service MMC :
>
> ·   For each DC : manually added one connexion to smb4dc and i
> deleted all others generated connexions
>
> ·   For smb4dc : deleted all connexions

Is deleting all connections on smb4dc really what you want? It means
smb4dc will not replicate changes from other DCs.

> BUT samba-tool showrepl is still showing a full meshed network on INBOUND and OUTBOUND NEIGHBORS :/
> Is it normal ?

I'm not sure, because until now I was unaware of samba-tool drs showrepl.

Thanks for the report!

cheers,
Douglas