[Samba] Provisioning AD DC, MS-AD_Schema_2K8_R2_Attributes.txt Not found

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 11 09:11:32 UTC 2016

On 11/01/16 04:43, IT Admin wrote:
> Wanted to update this thread and mark it as SOLVED, hopefully my notes will
> be useful to another user down the road.
>
> My issue was indeed not having the new version of samba in my path, however
> I had to add it in two locations other than /etc/profile.d

Thought so, your problem was that you ran 'samba-tool' with sudo.

> Appending ":/usr/local/samba/bin:/usr/local/samba/sbin" to the PATH
> declaration in /etc/environment and /etc/sudoers allowed me to execute
> samba-tool as sudo and provision my domain without errors.
>
>  From here: http://www.jadota.com/2013/01/installing-samba4-on-ubuntu-12-04/
>
> After the install we will add the path to the *bin* and *sbin* directory of
>> Samba:
>> sudo nano /etc/sudoers
>>
>> and add the following to the end of the *Defaults secure_path=* before
>> the closing *“*:
>> :/usr/local/samba/sbin:/usr/local/samba/bin

You do not actually have to do this, all the files in samba/bin and
samba/sbin are executable by *anybody*, just don't use sudo and
definitely don't give anybody an admin password that you do not trust.

>> and write the changes and exit nano.
>>
>> Make the same change to the system environment PATH variable:
>> sudo nano /etc/environment
>>
>> and add the following to the end of the *PATH*, before the closing *“*:
>> :/usr/local/samba/sbin:/usr/local/samba/bin

I am afraid you are wrong again :-)     If you are going to add them,
add them at the start, this way they will be found *before* any other
earlier versions.

>> and write the changes and exit nano.
>>
> I then had to add an init script to /etc/init.d to start samba at boot and
> now I'm good to go.

There was probably already one there, it ust wanted the paths changing.

> Thanks for the hints... now to figure out samba_backup

backing up samba is easy, restoring it is another thing altogether :-)

Rowland