[Samba] Samba & Ceph

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Fri Jan 8 22:15:39 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-08 at 09:31 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 04:26:24PM +0100, Dirk Laurenz wrote:
> > Hello List,
> >
> > as anyone tried to install samba with/ontop on a ceph cluster?
>
> Try compiling and setting up with vfs_ceph.

Correct, that's basically it.

> Needs some more work, but should work.

Some posix features are not quite there yet in CephFS:

E.g. fcntl locks (only possibly in most recent cephfs
code), so better start off with 'posix locking = no'.
And for ctdb this means that recovery lock may or may
not work, depending on the ceph version. There are more
things (not 100% sure about acls at this time).
People are actively working on the support of these things
in CephFS. If interested, I can try and compile a
list of things that are missing. If you are willing
to experiment and find out and report back here,
that would of course be great!

> Please log bugs if it doesn't.

Cheers - Michael