[Samba] How to add basic security to my samba share?

DavidA dandbnews2 at talktalk.net
Fri Jan 8 04:58:12 UTC 2016

Hi

As I've mentioned before, I have a simple Samba share running on a Raspberry
Pi, accessed by a Windows workgroup. I've shown the main sections of my
smb.conf file at the end of this email.

My share is currently open to anyone who is connected to my network, which
is not ideal.  I would like to add some security but I don't understand how
this should work.

Should I:

a) Create a guest Linux account on the Pi and require Windows users to enter
the credentials of that account when accessing the Share

or

b) Add the credentials of the Windows users to the Samba password file ?

Please advise me how you would normally do this and what I need to add to
smb.conf.

Best regards

David

[global]
    usershare allow guests = yes
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    wins support = true
    map to guest = bad user
    dns proxy = no
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    max log size = 1000
    os level = 20
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    pam password change = yes
    server role = standalone server
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    syslog = 0
    unix password sync = yes
    netbios name = RPHS
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no

   read only = yes