[Samba] running DCs with 4.2 and 4.3 at the same time

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Jan 7 18:56:58 UTC 2016

Hello,

Am 07.01.2016 um 16:41 schrieb mj:
> Is it all right to upgrade one DC to 4.3, while keeping the other two on
> 4.2 for a few days, to first see how things work out?
>
> The question is: do I need to upgrade all DCs together, on a large
> version jump, such as 4.2 to 4.3.

There was no database change between 4.2 and 4.3. So it should be OK to
have a mixed DC environment. However keep in mind, that things may have
changed and the 4.3 DC may handle some things different than the 4.2 does.

Just an example: For 4.3 (or was it already in 4.2?) support for a
specific time format in an attribute, Windows terminal servers are using
for storing licence information, was added. The old Samba version
rejected an add/modify on that attribute with an error, while it passes
now on the new one. This could make the TS licencing tools fail if it
talks to a DC running the old version, while it works on the new one.

Regards,
Marc