[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 7 11:41:15 UTC 2016

Am 07.01.2016 um 12:28 schrieb Rowland penny:
> On 07/01/16 11:19, Ole Traupe wrote:

>>> This is one of the reasons that you shouldn't use your corporate
>>> domain name for your AD domain name, if you do, your domain members
>>> are locatable from the internet.
>>
>> In theory. Actually, most of them aren't.
>>
>>> The domain name in question is *not* sensitive info, if it was, you
>>> wouldn't get any email :-)
>>
>> My mail address is *not* ole.traupe@*bpn*.tu-berlin.de.
>
> You know something, you are quite correct, it isn't :-D
> This doesn't explain why host is returning the result it is, something
> out there thinks that bpn.tu-berlin.de has a mail server.

As I replied privately to you, it seems to me that this is some default
corporate placeholder. My university is hosting a lot of different
services for the departments, often with several alternatives in place
for one and the same need. Often this comes in quite handy, sometimes it
might produce strange results. I don't really know.