[Samba] Samba over slow connections

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 7 11:22:41 UTC 2016

Am 07.01.2016 um 11:58 schrieb Sébastien Le Ray:
> Hi list (and happy new year),
>
> I'm experiencing some troubles using Samba (4.1.17 debian version) over
> VPN. Basically we've following setup :
>
> PC === LAN ===> VPN (WAN) ==== LAN ===> Samba file Server
>
> Copying big (say > 1MiB) files from PC to Samba file server almost
> always ends up with a NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT error (or "a network error
> occured" if trying to copy from a Windows box).
>
> It seems that Samba cannot cope with the fact that LAN speed is way
> higher than WAN one (thus filling buffers an not waiting for WAN link to
> consume them)

/usr/sbin/ifconfig eth0 txqueuelen 100

ifcfg-eth0:

ETHTOOL_OPTS="-K ${DEVICE} tso on lro off; -G ${DEVICE} rx 128 tx 128"

sysctl.conf:

net.core.rmem_max = 65536
net.core.wmem_max = 65536
net.core.rmem_default = 32768
net.core.wmem_default = 32768
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 32768 65536
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 32768 65536
net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 4096 32768 65536
net.ipv4.udp_mem = 4096 32768 65536
net.ipv4.tcp_moderate_rcvbuf = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_dsack = 1

smb.conf:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
max xmit = 32768