[Samba] Doubts about Samba 4 Clients

Marcio Demetrio Bacci marciobacci at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 19:34:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have set up an Ubuntu 14.04-64 bits workstation to join a samba 4 domain
and is apparently running perfectly. However I need to put 300 stations in
the domain, so I thought I'd create a iSO to facilitate the work.

Thus I would like resolving some doubts before generating the ISO image:

1) Must be put the client's netbios name in smb.conf or is optional, as
below?

/etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]

  *netbios name = client1 *

  workgroup = EMPRESA

  security = ads

  realm = EMPRESA.COM

  encrypt passwords = yes

  kerberos method = secrets and keytab

  preferred master = no

  idmap config *:backend = tdb

  idmap config *:range = 2000-9999

  idmap config EMPRESA:backend = ad

  idmap config EMPRESA:schema_mode = rfc2307

  idmap config EMPRESA:range = 10000-999999

   winbind nss info = rfc2307

  winbind trusted domains only = no

  winbind use default domain = yes

  winbind enum users = yes

  winbind enum groups = yes

  winbind refresh tickets = yes

  vfs objects = acl_xattr

  map acl inherit = Yes

  store dos attributes = Yes

  username map = /etc/samba/user.map

2) Must be put the hosts file only the localhost or also put the station
name, as follows?

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1             localhost

*127.0.1.1             client1.empresa.com <http://client1.empresa.com>
client1*

3) Can I put winbind to the passwd and group in nsswitch.conf file
BEFORE joining
the domain?

/etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd:compat *winbind*

group:compat* winbind*

shadow:compat

hosts:files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

networks:files

protocols: db files

services:db files

ethers:db files

rpc:db files

netgroup:nis

4) To generate the iSO can set everything except the entrance of the station in
the domain and later only to run *net ads join* command in each computer?

5) You must install the ntp package?

6) Can anybody suggest another way for join all (300) the workstations in
the samba 4 domain?

Thanks,

Márcio