[Samba] Wiki: Standalone server

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Jan 5 14:03:16 UTC 2016

Hello Louis,

Am 05.01.2016 um 09:10 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle:
> You can do the same without a local user when you change
>         map to guest = Bad User
>         map to guest = Bad Password
>
> Which gives also the advantage, that you dont need to have a local
> user on a windows system, which popups up with a password and
> where lots of peoople have problems with.

"Bad password" maps you directly to the guest account if you enter a
wrong password. I think it's not a good idea and the manpage tells you why:

>   Note that this can cause problems as it means that any user
>   incorrectly typing their password
>   will be silently logged on as "guest" - and will not know the
>   reason they cannot access files they think they should - there will
>   have been no message given to them that they got their password
>   wrong. Helpdesk
>   services will hate you if you set the map to guest parameter this
>   way :-).

> And just a question, have you tried to access the server from win7+
> With only \\servername
> I bet you get a popup to authenticate.. user Guest is disabled in windows.
> So the user mapping between the pc and samba goes wrong.

I can't confirm this. My standalone in my test environment uses the same
config than in the guide. Win7 Pro is in the same workgroup
("workgroup") than the Samba host. If I connect to \\ip or \\servername
I see the two shares without being asked for username/password.

Regards,
Marc