[Samba] Samba 4 AD - Samba Fails to Start, hdb_samba4_create_kdc (setup KDC database) failed

JS it at cliffbells.com
Sun Jan 3 10:38:28 UTC 2016

Rowland penny <rpenny <at> samba.org> writes:

> On 03/01/16 06:00, JS wrote:
> >   <=?windows-1252?Q?L.P.H._van_Belle?=> writes:
> >

> One of your problems is that you are using the stock Ubuntu samba, this
> is getting a bit long in the tooth now, can I suggest you use either the
> latest freely available samba from Sernet or better still, compile it
> yourself and use the latest version 4.3.3. This will get you a much
> improved fsmo.py and will also cover you for several CVEs.
>
> Rowland
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > JS

A couple questions...

1) I've downloaded the latest samba source files and obtained the backup
script.  Ubuntu's distribution of samba installs to different locations than
compiling from source from what I can tell yet I haven't been able to find
any references online that dictate exactly what directories need to be
backed up to create valid archives on Ubuntu, could you provide some insight
in this regard?

2) How would I go about 'upgrading' a deployed Samba4 PDC from the version
provided by Canonical to one compiled from source?  Is it possible to do an
'in-place' upgrade or will I need to uninstall, compile the new version and
then redeploy?

Thanks again for all the help.

JS