[Samba] Please review my smb.conf

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Jan 2 21:25:33 UTC 2016

On 02/01/16 20:59, DavidA wrote:
> Hi Rowland
>
>> (just a thought, you have given the Samba server a fixed ipaddress,
>> hostname and domain name, haven't you ?).
>
> The Pi has a fixed IP address and hostname.  I see:
>
> $ cat /etc/hostname
> RPHS

OK, try running these commands:

hostname
hostname -s
hostname -d
hostname -f
hostname -i

If your rpi has the fully quallified domain name of 'rphs.example.com'
and the ipaddress 192.168.0.2, you should get:

rphs
rphs
example.com
rphs.example.com
192.168.0.2

If you do not get a domain name, check /etc/hosts, it should contain a
line similar to this:

192.168.0.2    rphs.example.com    rphs

> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Generated by resolvconf
> nameserver 208.67.222.123
> nameserver 208.67.220.123
>
> So the DNS seems arbitrary.  I don't understand what the DNS should be
> for a home network.  Sorry for my ignorance.

The dns for a home network is usually set by your router, you need to
check what ip range it uses and if it is also your dhcp server, you need
to ensure that it supplies a domain name as well as the ipaddress. You
also need to check that all the windows machines use the same workgroup
name, from your smb.conf 'WORKGROUP' .

The dns nameservers '208.67.22x.123' are the openDNS ones, I would
suggest you change these to the google ones '8.8.8.8' & '8.8.4.4'. For
how to do this and to possibly set a domain name, see your routers
documentation.

Rowland