[Samba] Segmentation Fault when trying to set root samba password, IPA as a backend

Martin Juhl mj at casalogic.dk
Mon Feb 29 13:44:00 UTC 2016

Hi

>> First thing is, you shouldn't have a user called 'root' in your domain,

I know, was just saying that the error message changed when I added the user....

>> use a usermap to map 'Administrator' to 'root'

I have now tried adding:

username map = /var/lib/samba/usermap.txt

to my [global]

and /var/lib/samba/usermap.txt:

mj = Adminstrator

>> Can you try and create a new user with smbpasswd ?

[root at bart samba]# smbpasswd -a test
No builtin backend found, trying to load plugin
Module 'ipasam' loaded
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: successful connection to the LDAP server
pdb_init_ipasam: support for pdb_enum_upn_suffixes enabled for domain bolls.lan
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Could not find user test and no add script defined
Failed to add entry for user test.

>> I think you may be hitting the same problem that I have, smbpasswd will
>> create the user, but then segfaults when trying to add the password.

/Martin