[Samba] which DNS backend ?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Feb 28 19:18:07 UTC 2016

On 28/02/16 18:30, Felipe_G0NZÁLEZ_SANTIAG0 wrote:
> Hello list, I need to know which DNS backend is using my domain controller. Where can I search to know my backend ? Are there a command to do this?

I suppose the easiest way would be to run something like this on a DC:

wbinfo -u | grep dns

If you get any output, then you are using Bind9, just where will come
from the output. The output will be like this 'dns-DC', where 'DC' is
the hostname of the DC running Bind9.

> Then, I have 2 DCs replicating each other (samba-tool domain join). Is it possible to have one of them using SAMBA_internal and the other using BIND_DLZ ?

Not sure, never tried, I think most people would use the same dns server
on all DCs, but from my experience, if you have more than one DC, you
are probably better off using Bind9.

Rowland