[Samba] winbind limitations

Wed Feb 24 09:41:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 06:58:52PM -0300, Fernando Favero wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Does winbind has limitations  with lots of users in domain?
>
> I'm compiled samba 4.3.1 and created 40 users, so winbind and getent works
> fine, but when created 26.000 users and "wbinfo -u" doesn't show users.

I'm sure there's timeouts all over the place with 26.000 users. I'd say
enumerating that number is not really a good idea. You might have good
reasons to do so, but I would recommend using direct LDAP against AD to
get the users. Winbind eventually might get there, but I doubt we have
proper retries around everywhere to fulfill that.

In normal operations you should never need to enumerate users and
groups. Doing "getent passwd <username>" on users that successfully
logged in will always work fine. If it does not, we'll fix it.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de