[Samba] winbind limitations

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 12:42:17 UTC 2016

Hi Fernando,

For me that's a well known issue of winbind.

You could notice also issue with "samba-tool ldapcmp ..." and another tool
I don't remember for now. Both does not work anymore once you reach around
40 000 objects in Samba database.

For ldapcmp a workaround, which is an awful workaround, is to:
1° List all containers
2° For each container -> launch ldapcmp

Unfortunately this process increase a lot the time needed to compare all
data.

As an example:
- we have 20 DC.
- we have 120 000 users and no computers and no groups in our database.
Comparing sequentially all these DC against FSMO owner is running since 6
days and it is not finished. We even suspect we only reached half of the
process this noon...

Sorry to not have better news,

mathias