[Samba] samba_dnsupdate NOTAUTH

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:15:11 UTC 2016

Hello Rowland, thanks for your help.

My replies lines below:

> Do the DCs point at each other for dns ?
>
> i.e. is /etc/resolv.conf on the first DC something like this:
>
> search your.domian.com
> nameserver ip.of.second.dc
> nameserver ip.of.this.dc
>
> and on the second DC:
>
> search your.domian.com
> nameserver ip.of.first.dc
> nameserver ip.of.this.dc

Yes, they both point to each other just as you suggested.

> I would also ensure that ntp is running on both DCs, using the same external
> ntp servers and then your workstations would use your DCs for their time
> servers.

I've just configured NTP on both servers, they now have only 1 seconds
of difference.

> One last comment, you haven't got a primary DC and a backup DC, you just
> have two DCs. The only difference between your two DCs is the FSMO roles and
> these can be moved from DC to DC.

What type of DCs are these two servers? Some kind of two Primary or
Master DC each one? Shouldn't I have a PDC and a BDC? (I thought this
the recommeded setup for DCs). Please let me know if I'm doing
anything wrong here.

I'm going to check if samba_dnsupdate error messages dissapear in the
following minutes/hours after synchronizing both servers using NTP,
but I don't know what caused this error. Was it really caused by time
differences between servers? or is there anything else that might need
to be fixed?

Thanks again