[Samba] Change machine name without a reboot?

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 23 05:56:01 UTC 2016

> > Paul D. DeRocco:
> >
> > I'm having trouble changing the machine name
> > programmatically on Samba 4
> > (running under systemd). There's no "netbios name" option
> > in smb.conf, so
> > I'm relying on it using the hostname. Here's what I'm doing:
> >
> > 1) Call sethostname() with the new name.
> >
> > 2) Write the same name into /etc/hostname, to make it nonvolatile.
> >
> > 3) Read a decimal number from /var/run/smbd.pid.
> >
> > 4) Send SIGHUP to that process.
> >
> > Nothing happens. If I reboot, then the new name is announced on the
> > network. How do I get it to do this without rebooting the
> > entire system?
>
> From: Reindl Harald
>
> just restart the samba server instead only reload?

Well, it turns out restarting the server doesn't seem to work either. Nor
does stopping it, waiting awhile, and restarting it. Adding the "netbios
name" option in smb.conf doesn't help. If I change the name, only
rebooting seems to make it visible on the network. Does anyone know enough
about how this works to tell me if it's possible to get Samba to inform
the network of the new name without a reboot?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com