[Samba] Change machine name without a reboot?

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 23 00:30:14 UTC 2016

> From: Reindl Harald
>
> besides that you did not provide the info "embedded system" -
> when you
> have systemd you also have "systemctl restart
> whatever.service" and in
> PHP it would be passthru('command')
>
> you don't know how you restart a service via CLI - seriously?

I know how to do it through systemctl, but I was wondering if there was a
way to do it directly, say through a different signal to smbd. Killing
smbd doesn't work--it doesn't get restarted. I'd like to find a
lightweight way to do it programmatically from within my own service
(written in C), without resorting to fork/exec* to call systemctl.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com