[Samba] Change machine name without a reboot?

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 22 23:35:19 UTC 2016

I'm having trouble changing the machine name programmatically on Samba 4
(running under systemd). There's no "netbios name" option in smb.conf, so
I'm relying on it using the hostname. Here's what I'm doing:

1) Call sethostname() with the new name.

2) Write the same name into /etc/hostname, to make it nonvolatile.

3) Read a decimal number from /var/run/smbd.pid.

4) Send SIGHUP to that process.

Nothing happens. If I reboot, then the new name is announced on the
network. How do I get it to do this without rebooting the entire system?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com