[Samba] user login passwords are mixed up

oeh univie edv lists edv-lists at oeh.univie.ac.at
Sun Feb 21 20:57:23 UTC 2016

Thank you! That was the hint I needed with 4.2 and ""Bad Password Lockout
in the AD DC".

I did it via samba-tool this time and not via GPO with RSAT.

samba-tool domain passwordsettings set --history-length=0

samba-tool domain passwordsettings show
Password informations for domain 'DC=x,DC=x,DC=x'
Password complexity: on
Store plaintext passwords: off
Password history length: 0
Minimum password length: 7
Minimum password age (days): 1
Maximum password age (days): 42

systemctl restart samba-ad-dc.service

And the most important thing was to execute "GPUpdate.exe /force" in
command line on the windows computer where my RSAT runs with domain
administrator and restart the computer.

Now the behaviour is as one would expect. Previous old password doesn't
work any more. And when system requests you to change the password, you
can switch new password to the old password again. This would be a
security issue.

Fine that it works but I will undo it and tell my users that this
"previous old password" login is no security problem but "mircosoft
feature"...

What I still do not understand is that what I see with "samba-tool domain
passwordsettings show" is not the same as in GPO via RSAT. The changes I
made with "samba-tool domain passwordsettings show" are not replicated to
GPO via RSAT. Is it more stable to change GPO via RSAT or via samba-tool ?

thank you!
birgit

Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org> schreibt: