[Samba] Folder name mangled

Chris Hastie lists at oak-wood.co.uk
Sat Feb 20 13:54:35 UTC 2016

Hi

Within a folder that forms one of my shares is a folder named
"MCMXC_a.D.". At least, that is what I see when I run `ls` at the
terminal, or even `ls -b` or `ls -q`. That is also what I see from
another Linux machine using cifs to mount the share. However, from
Windows clients this particular folder appears as "M6HK2P~F". This share
is also mounted as external storage in an ownCloud installation using, I
believe, libsmbclient-php5. ownCloud also presents the name as "M6HK2P~F".

Since there are no non-ascii characters in the original folder name I'm
somewhat baffled as to what could be causing this transformation. Has
anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Chris