[Samba] simple recommendations

Thomas Maerz tmaerz at brewerscience.com
Thu Feb 18 17:55:15 UTC 2016

I would set up your server as a Samba AD and use the directory. Give each user a username and password on the server that they will authenticate to the server with and when they connect the permissions will act as you are expecting. Joining the machines to the domain is not necessary; it simply integrates the workstation with the server so that the user doesn’t have to enter the credentials manually to connect to resources. We use hundreds of non-domain joined Macs to connect to a Samba4 DC-based file server.

I hope this helps.

Thomas Maerz
Network/Systems Engineer