[Samba] Can one set the owner of a folder to BUILTIN\Administrators?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 17 18:32:28 UTC 2016

On 17/02/16 18:07, Ian wrote:
> Actually, that works for me too.  I just issued the command 'chgrp
> "BUILTIN\administrators" CoreLib' and it returned successfully for that
> folder.  'ls -la' shows:
> d---------+ 2 MMIA\domain admins  BUILTIN\administrators  5 Dec  8 11:59
> CoreLib//
>
> Note however, that it fails if I attempt to chown instead:
> [root at freenas] /mnt/trunk/MM/deploy# chown "BUILTIN\Administrators" CoreLib
> chown: BUILTIN\Administrators: illegal user name
>
> I can chown to other domain groups successfully.

Normally a group cannot 'own' files etc, Unix uses ugo permissions and
when you chown a file you would use something like this:

chown foo:somegroup somefile

this would make 'foo' the owner of the file and possibly allow
'somegroup' access to it, this would depend on whatever permissions you
set with 'chmod'

So, as far as Unix is concerned, you shouldn't be able to chown a file
to 'BUILTIN\Administrators' because it is a group (g) and not a user (u)

Rowland