[Samba] Domain member workstations on DHCP

Stuart Longland stuartl at vrt.com.au
Sun Feb 14 21:06:44 UTC 2016

On 14/02/16 19:40, Rowland penny wrote:
> On 14/02/16 03:38, Stuart Longland wrote:
>> It doesn't seem to join without me putting that entry in /etc/hosts.  I
>> haven't tried removing it (following the domain join) to see if it still
>> works.
>>
>> What is the correct procedure here?
>
> It all depends on how your Unix workstations get their dns info, you
> need the line in /etc/hosts if they use a fixed ip, but if they get
> their dns info from dhcp, you don't.
> If you do use dhcp, you must ensure that the dhcp server sends the
> correct info.

Okay, well they do resolve via dynamic DNS to a hostname.  That was
working prior to the move to ActiveDirectory.

> To show this, from this netbook that uses dhcp and is joined to a domain:
>
> rowland at debnet:~$ getent hosts debnet
> 192.168.0.128   debnet.samdom.example.com

Now this might be a fly in the ointment.  For us, the DHCP domain is
dhcp.office.example.com, whereas the active directory domain is
activedirectory.office.example.com.

DHCP/DNS there is traditional ISC DHCPd/ISC BIND.  I suppose this means
that I'll need to configure dhcp to talk to ActiveDirectory to update DNS?

> and /etc/hosts only contains this:
>
> rowland at debnet:~$ cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1    localhost

> ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
>
> If your Unix workstations are running Ubuntu (and possibly other OS),
> you may find a line starting '127.0.1.1', if so, remove it and stop
> network-manager using dnsmasq. Also note that 127.0.0.1 must only point
> to 'localhost'.

Ahh, fun stuff, yes, most of them are Ubuntu systems.  I have a laptop
here running Debian (and my personal one with Gentoo) but most systems
are Ubuntu.

Regards,
--
     _ ___             Stuart Longland - Systems Engineer
\  /|_) |                           T: +61 7 3535 9619