[Samba] Domain member workstations on DHCP

Stuart Longland stuartl at vrt.com.au
Sun Feb 14 03:38:12 UTC 2016

Hi all,

We're in the process of rolling out Samba4 on our network, with Active
Directory and I've been re-configuring the Linux workstations that
currently were joined to the old NT4-style domain.

It hit me in particular when I read this bit:
> Local hostname resolution
>
> During the Domain join, Samba tries to register/update the hosts name and IP in your AD DNS. This requires that "net" can resolve both, either via DNS or /etc/hosts. To verify, run
>
> # getent hosts M1
> 10.99.0.5      M1.samdom.example.com    M1
>
> The commands output must show the correct LAN interface IP (not 127.*.*.*!) and the hostname including the AD DNS zone. Additional alias names are optional. If you get a different output, fix it in your DNS or by adding/changing the /etc/hosts entry:
>
> 10.99.0.5      M1.samdom.example.com    M1
(source https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member)

Now to proceed I just put in the IP address of the workstation at the
time into /etc/hosts, but it feels wrong doing it this way.  This will
work for now but I expect this will change sometime.

The machine is not a server, it just needs winbind for local user logins.

It doesn't seem to join without me putting that entry in /etc/hosts.  I
haven't tried removing it (following the domain join) to see if it still
works.

What is the correct procedure here?
--
     _ ___             Stuart Longland - Systems Engineer
\  /|_) |                           T: +61 7 3535 9619