[Samba] Home directory share on member server in Samba 4 AD domain

Scott Tanner stanner at amientertainment.net
Fri Feb 12 21:07:12 UTC 2016

Hello All,

I'm planning a new Samba AD domain for our company and I'm a little
confused as to the proper setup of users home directories on the domain.
I've read countless articles describing a basic setup using a [homes]
share, but this seems to conflict with the User_home_drives article on
the wiki which specifies a [home] share.

I'm currently planning for the following server layout, all running
Samba 4.3.4 on CentOS 7:

 Domain controllers:
   local_ad01          remote_ad01
   local_ad02          remote_ad02

 File servers - both with a /mnt/dataVol/homes volume for home dirs:
   local_fs01          remote_fs01

I'd like to have the users home directories created automatically during
user creation or log-in.  I noticed the --home-directory option for the
"samba-tool user add" command, which seems to define which server/share
to use.

So for the file servers, do I define a [home] or [homes] share?  Do I
need to define anything on the DC's or will specifying the location via
command line be sufficient?

Thank you,
Scott