[Samba] AD + Bind DLZ + Site

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 10 17:04:16 UTC 2016

On 10/02/16 16:27, mathias dufresne wrote:

> [...]
>

>                     Probably not.
>

>                 OK
>

>                         3° When a DC is not in
>         Default-First-Site-Name, no DNS
>                 records
>                         related to
>                         that DC should exists in Default-First-Site-Name
>                 related DNS
>                         records. Is
>                         that true?
>                         ex:
>         _ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.samba.domain.tld
>                         should not
>                         exist.
>

>                     Again probably not.
>

>                 According to your next reply, I take your reply as a "yes,
>                 that's true. A DC should be referenced only in site it
>         belongs."
>
>                 Once more, my question was not clear, sorry about that.
>

>                         4° When a DC is moved from one site to another
>         site,
>                 all DNS
>                         records
>                         related to old site should be automatically
>         removed?
>

>                     Yes
>

>                 OK
>

>                         5° If 4° is true, what trigger the change in DNS
>                         configuration? Is it a
>                         samba restart which will run samba_dnsupdate
>         which would
>                         perform that
>                         creation of DNS records and deletion of the
>         old ones or
>                         samba_dnsupdate (or
>                         equivalent) is run without the need of a
>         restart/reboot?
>

>                     I don't think there is anything to do this at
>         present. The
>                 main
>                     problem (as I see it) is that when you provision a
>         domain,
>                 all the
>                     records are created for you, but when you join
>         another DC,
>                 they
>                     are not. You have to start/restart samba and this
>         then adds
>                     various dns records including the site ones.
>

>                 OK. So no trigger.
>
>                 samba_dnsupdate should solve the issue as a restart of
>         samba
>                 service or restarting samba is really needed?
>

>             I have been reading the 'samba-tool sites' code and it appears
>             that it creates new sites in
>         'CN=NEWSITE,CN=Sites,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com'.
>
>             I think it should be creating it in
>         'CN=NEWSITE,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com'
>

>         I did look into the both domain I have here at work, one is
>         4.3.4 and the other one is 4.4.0rc2.
>         There is no CN=Sites,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com but only
>         CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com.
>

>     OK, I have only
>     'CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com' where
>     'DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com' is my rootdse i.e the domain name is
>     samdom.example.com <http://samdom.example.com>
>
> So samba-tool is not creating site at the wrong place.

Now I have had time to read and properly understand the python code, I
have to agree with you, it does get created in the right place.

>         Of course there is also no
>         CN=NEWSITE,CN=Sites,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com and only
>         CN=NEWSITE,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
>         is present.
>

>     'NEWSITE' is a placeholder for whatever site name you want to
>     replace Default-First-Site-Name with.
>     i.e. if you wanted to add a site called 'mysite' you would end up
>     with:
>
>     'CN=mysite,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com'
>

> My colleague said: "Thank you Captain Obvious" ;)

Again, I should have gone to spexsavers :-D

>         Which version of Samba were you looking into?
>

>     4.4 i.e. samba.master
>
> OK. As in fact there is no issue about place were entry is created,
> only the link to defaultipsitelink is missing.
>
> Perhaps something to create new site link could be added, but not sure
> at all it is relevant: Site links are perhaps easier to manage through
> RSAT... I have not enough background to tell. Cardon brothers could
> have a view on that as they deployed some domain with lot of sites and
> had to deal with replication issue, as they told me once. Perhaps they
> also played with site links...

This would seem to be the only missing component and from what I have
found, this link is required for replication or have I misunderstood the
info I found again :-)

Rowland