[Samba] Using filegroup for access control within a share

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 10 09:57:18 UTC 2016

On 10/02/16 09:41, Trond Hasle Amundsen wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-02-10 at 09:20 +0000, Rowland penny wrote:

>>> Thanks Jeremy, the (slightly sanitized) smb.conf is below. Let me know
>>> if more information is needed, or if there is something you'd like me to
>>> try.
>>>
>>> [global]
>>>           auto services = homes
>>>           load printers = yes
>>>           print command = /usr/bin/ppr -r -P%p -J@%m -Xprint_errors=false
>>> -u%u@%M -Xsmbclient=true -Xusepstitle=true %s
>>>           printing = bsd
>>>           lpq command = /usr/bin/ppq -P%p
>>>           lpq cache time = 30
>>>           socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY
>>>           deadtime = 60
>>>           unix charset = UTF8
>>>           unix extensions = no
>>>           wide links = yes
>>>           follow symlinks = yes
>>>           max protocol = SMB3
>>>           security = ads
>>>           client ntlmv2 auth = yes
>>>           lanman auth = no
>>>           ntlm auth = no
>>>           server schannel = yes
>>>           client signing = auto
>>>           password server = *
>>>           realm = EXAMPLE.COM
>>>           workgroup = EXAMPLE
>>>           disable netbios = yes
>>>           hostname lookups = yes
>>>           syslog = 0
>>>           time server = yes
>>>           domain logons = no
>>>
>>> [homes]
>>>           comment = Home
>>>           veto files = /.rsrc/
>>>           delete veto files = yes
>>>           nt acl support = no
>>>           inherit permissions = yes
>>>           guest ok = no
>>>           invalid users = root
>>>           browsable = no
>>>           read only = no
>>>           strict locking = no
>>>
>>> [test]
>>>           path = /test
>>>           create mode = 0774
>>>           directory mode = 0775
>>>           browseable = yes
>>>           public = no
>>>           guest ok = no
>>>           read only = no
>>>           invalid users = root
>>>           valid users = @foo
>>>           veto files = /.??*/
>>>

>>> The directory /test contains:
>>>
>>> -rwxrwxr-x. 1 root foo     0 Dec  9 16:26 file1.txt
>>> -rwxrwxr-x. 1 root foo     0 Dec  9 16:26 file2.txt
>>> drwxrwx---. 2 root bar    36 Dec  9 16:32 restricted
>>>
>>> The group "foo" is both filegroup and netgroup, containing the same
>>> members. Samba version used is 4.2.3 (rhel7.2).
>> Are you using sssd or nlscd instead of winbind ?
> SSSD is running, configured to use an OpenLDAP server (i.e. not AD) as
> id and auth provider. We're not using nlscd. AD does not have the UNIX
> extension (or whatever it's called), so UIDs and GIDs will differ
> between AD and OpenLDAP/SSSD. Samba is the only service that uses AD.

If sssd is running and you are *not* using winbind for auth, then Samba
is probably not your problem.
At the moment I think that Samba knows nothing about your groups in
OpenLDAP.
I think you are going to have to choose between using Samba with AD or
Using Samba with Openldap as its auth source.

Rowland