[Samba] Disjointness between samba and distros?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 9 17:23:07 UTC 2016

On 09/02/16 16:44, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:44 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 09.02.2016 um 16:28 schrieb Jeff Sadowski:
>>
>>> Most major distros compile samba with out the ability to do AD DC (Ubutum,
>>> Fedora, Suse)
>>> Fedora's documentation since samba 4.0 has stated
>>> "We'll provide Samba AD DC functionality as soon as its support of MIT
>>> Kerberos KDC will be ready."
>>> This is even provided in 4.4.0rc1 build of samba for fedora 24(rawhide)
>>>
>>> I'd rather see a document that says something like so
>>>
>>> "Samba AD DC server compiled samba is incompatible with MIT Kerberos we'll
>>> provide a compatible one as soon as samba supports MIT Kerberos KDC."
>>>
>>> or something along those lines.
>>>
>>> It just seems that samba has been disjoiint on its capabilities vs what
>>> distros compile it for since 4.0 was released all that time ago.
>>>
>>> What is going on in the linux communities?
>>>
>> they included and supported MIT Kerberos long before Samba 4 did exist at
>> all and unlikely change that for a single package
>>
>> So there would be a lot of packages that wouldn't work correctly? That
> would be used at the same time?
>
>> --

Red Hat/Fedora is working on getting Samba AD DC working with MIT
kerberos instead of Heimdal, I think they are getting close, but until
they do, you can only use the Sernet packages or compile Samba yourself.

There are packages available for Ubuntu but they are getting a bit old
now and in fact, when 4.4.0 comes out (very close now) they will go EOL
as far as Samba is concerned. This does not mean they will not get
updates, they will just not get them from Samba, Ubuntu (or Debian) will
have to backport them.

Rowland