[Samba] Import zimbra users to Samba 4

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 9 17:14:43 UTC 2016

On 09/02/16 16:01, Edson Tadeu wrote:
> Hi Rowland.
>
> The problem is all my users and passwords  are at zimbra database.
>
> And in order to work zimbra auth With samba i need to have same users in both databases.
>
> So i Think i need to import zimbra passwords to samba to preserve service working to users.
>
> Thanks!

Your problem is that you do not know your users password, so cannot
convert them to AD passwords. In this instance, I would obtain a list of
your users, create new passwords for each user, email the new password
to the user and advise them that the new password will come into force
on a set date & time. You could also set that the user must change their
password at next login and also advise them of this. Create your users
in AD, set up Zimbra to AD for authentication and put the new passwords
into force, you could probably do this over a weekend, this should cause
the least disruption.

I would also suggest you test all of this before putting it into production.

Rowland