[Samba] Deleting unix symbolic link deletes files under windows

Peter Gilford p.gilford at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Feb 5 13:05:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

I cannot work out why Windows-7 is deleting all the files under a Unix
symbolic link when the 'folder' is removed using Windows Explorer, even
though the files & folders within the link have read-only Unix permissions.

My set up is as follows:

  * Scientific Linux 7.1 Samba server running v 4.1.12
  * Scientific Linux 6.7 file server running NIS (automounted homes &
    data folders)
  * Windows 7 SP3

Extracts from my smb.conf...

[global]

         unix extensions = no

[home]
         comment = Home Directories
         path = /home/
         browseable = yes
         writable = yes
         create mode = 0664
         directory mask = 0775
         public = yes
         follow symlinks = yes
         wide links = yes

Incidentally, if I try using Windows to remove a specific file within
the symlink it does object with "permission denied", so I would have
expected it to delete only the link rather than the whole directory
structure.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you in anticipation,
Peter