[Samba] winbind warnings filling up syslog

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 1 19:32:53 UTC 2016

On 01/02/16 19:19, HASM wrote:
> hasm> Seems I cut off my smb.conf short.  I do have these two
> hasm> lines that may be winbind related:
> hasm>    idmap config * : backend = tdb
> hasm>    idmap config * : range = 1000-199999
>
> rpenny> then can I refer you to my previous comment, go back
> rpenny> to the Samba wiki page and click on one of the
> rpenny> links.
>
> A little rewind here.  My smb.conf hasn't changed (much) in
> ages, and it works/worked fine for whatever "I do with it".
> Maybe it needs tuning, maybe not.  Maybe I don't need to run
> winbin at all, that's not the point.
>
> It's when my company bought some other company and the
> internal IT did something to integrate their domain into
> ours, that winbind started spitting those lines.  Maybe the
> AD is misconfigured, but if it is I can't do anything about
> it (rather than point it out to them, maybe).
>
> rpenny> You don't have to use sssd, but fedora probably expects
> rpenny> you to do so, you can use winbind instead.
>
> I stop as many new things that fedora throws at us as long
> as possible.  Sssd will now be off until something breaks.
>
> rpenny> Is firewalld running ?
>
> No, I use iptables/ip6tables.
>
> -- HASM

One) Your smb.conf appears to be incorrectly set up, this will not help.

two) You are using a firewall, what it is called is neither here nor
there, you are using a firewall and are *all* the required ports open ?
could it be that you are now connecting to a later windows DC that uses
ports that are not open on your domain member.

Rowland
Rowland