[Samba] ADS domain member: winbind fails

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 30 13:01:06 UTC 2016

On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 13:45:09 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 2016-12-30 um 13:09 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> > On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 12:37:33 +0100

> >> I can't tell that anymore as I did hundreds of things inbetween.

> >> "rid" was just a try as "ad" didn't work and I had no more
> >> ideas ... I 'd maybe prefer "ad" ?

> >> Did so.
> >>
> >> leave and join: at first try, nice.
> >>
> >> winbindd crashes immediately again.

> >> The DC "backup" is latest debian. Converted from NT4 today (you
> >> remember the lengthy thread!) ...
> >>
> >> The member server "main" is gentoo linux.
> >>
> >> Both run samba-4.2.14.
> >>
> >> We can access shares on "main" ! even without winbindd running ...
> >>
> >> -
> >>
> >> # MEMBER SERVER (-> file services)
> >> # cat /etc/hosts
> >>
> >> # IPv4 and IPv6 localhost aliases
> >> 127.0.0.1	localhost
> >> ::1		localhost
> >>
> >> 10.0.0.221 main.secret.tld main
> >> 10.0.0.224 backup.secret.tld backup
> >>
> >> # cat /etc/krb5.conf
> >> [libdefaults]
> >> 	default_realm = ARBEITSGRUPPE.SECRET.TLD
> >> 	dns_lookup_realm = false
> >> 	dns_lookup_kdc = true
> >

> > OK, if your domain members short host is 'main', this makes its
> > domain name 'secret.tld', yet the realm is
> > 'ARBEITSGRUPPE.SECRET.TLD'
> >
> > ignoring case, 'secret.tld' != 'ARBEITSGRUPPE.SECRET.TLD' and it
> > should.
>
> I am confused what to change now!?

What is the dns domain of your DC ?
Whatever it is, this will have been used for your kerberos realm.
You will need to use the same dns domain and kerberos realm on your
domain member.

EXAMPLE:

The dns domain of your DC is 'arbeitsgruppe.secret.tld' and the realm
on the DC is 'ARBEITSGRUPPE.SECRET.TLD'
Your dns domain on the domain member will have to be
'arbeitsgruppe.secret.tld' and the realm 'ARBEITSGRUPPE.SECRET.TLD'

Rowland