[Samba] Samba AD - "No logon servers available"

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 29 17:27:00 UTC 2016

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 18:15:33 +0100
Marc Muehlfeld <mmuehlfeld at samba.org> wrote:

> Am 29.12.2016 um 17:34 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> > I mis-read that, I thought he had removed the old NT4-style PDC,
> > but if he now has (as Marc thinks) no Samba DCs and is only using
> > windows DCs, I fail to see how this can be a Samba problem or how
> > it can be fixed from Samba, or am I missing something ?
>
> Even if it's not our goal to help people moving from Samba to Windows,

I never said we shouldn't help people move to windows

> it might be a bug in Samba that prevents that the records are created
> correctly during the Windows DC join.

If it was, surely it would have shown up whilst the Samba DC was
running.

> If a user runs both, a Windows
> and Samba DC, it can happen that the Samba DC is temporarily offline
> and in this case the user expects that clients can continue logging
> in.

If, has you think, the OP now has no Samba DCs, then 'temporarily' is
an understatement ;-)

> Some further questions to the OP:
> * What Windows Server OS version did you joined _first_ to the Samba
> AD?
> * What other Windows Server OS versions were joined to the AD while
> Samba was still part of the AD forest?

He needs to answer your questions and mine and to confirm
whether he now has a Samba DC or not. If he hasn't, all we can offer is
advice, no Samba tools will work on windows ;-)

Rowland