[Samba] Samba AD - "No logon servers available"

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Dec 29 16:21:19 UTC 2016

Hello Bruno,

Am 29.12.2016 um 17:01 schrieb Bruno Miguel Martins via samba:
> I've migrated from Samba NT4 to Samba AD, joined other Windows
> DC's to the domain and then demoted my Samba DC.
>
> I am not being able to login from client computers with the
> error stated on the subject. I've tried everything, from making
> sure replication is OK, client DNS configuration also.
> Registry modifications from prior Samba NT4 domain were
> reverted in the client.
>
> Are there any hints on what to do next?

You're only having Windows DCs left?

May I ask why you migrated from Samba AD to Windows?

It sounds like the _ldap DNS record is missing, Windows uses to locate
the DC. Can you please verify that all required _ldap/_kerberos records
exist in the correct zones. For some examples, see:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Verifying_DNS
or because you are no longer a Samba user: ;-)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961719.aspx

If all required records exist and logging in still fails, I continue
guessing that it is DNS related:
- At least one of the Windows DCs runs a DNS server?
- The clients are using the DNS on the Windows DC?
  Test by running on a client
  > ping Short_DC_Name

Regards,
Marc