[Samba] AD DC as KVM guest on file server host?

Андрей Петров petrov at solid-it.ru
Mon Dec 26 23:12:59 UTC 2016

The most dramatic disadventage of kvm guest is block device I/O, so I
wouldn't recommend to virtualize file server if it is not necessary.
In my case on host ntpd configured as source for virtual dc, and bind9
configured as type=slave for zones hosted on dc,  (make shure that srv
records in _msdcs.mysambadomain.local are resolving when virtual dc is
down) and smbd fileserver with  "winbind offline logon = true" in smb.conf.
it works on HP Microserver G7 with  AMD Turion II CPU and 2GB RAM and
serves 15 clients in small office + it's also hosts asteriskPBX guest...
All issues that I mentioned are true when there is only one dc in
network and it runs as kvm guest.
If it's not your case and you have other dc online when fileserver
starts. Consider your virtual DC as phisical machine and everything will
be fine...

--
C уважением,

Петров Андрей