[Samba] Cannot connect to Samab

John Serink john_serink at trimble.com
Fri Dec 23 04:29:02 UTC 2016

Hi All:

My machine:
jserinki7 jserink # uname -a
Linux jserinki7 4.8.10-gentoo #64 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 4 02:01:32 SGT 2016
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

jserinki7 jserink # equery list samba
 * Searching for samba ...
[IP-] [  ] net-fs/samba-4.2.11:0

I run samba as an internal server to my machine to share my ext4 file
system to my windows7 guest I use in QEMU. Everything was working fine. I
had not used windows for about two weeks and fired up my VM to see that
windows could not connect to the samaba drives though samba was running.
jserinki7 jserink # /etc/init.d/samba status
 * status: started

I then tried from a bash prompt and get his:
jserinki7 jserink # smbclient -L 192.168.100.1 -U jserink -m SMB2
Enter jserink's password:
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT

Googling suggesting putting the Netbios name in the /etc/hosts file, which
I did, no change.
Here is my /etc/hosts file:
jserinki7 jserink # cat /etc/hosts
# /etc/hosts: Local Host Database
#
# This file describes a number of aliases-to-address mappings for the for
# local hosts that share this file.
#
# The format of lines in this file is:
#
# IP_ADDRESS canonical_hostname [aliases...]
#
#The fields can be separated by any number of spaces or tabs.
#
# In the presence of the domain name service or NIS, this file may not be
# consulted at all; see /etc/host.conf for the resolution order.
#

# IPv4 and IPv6 localhost aliases
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
192.168.100.1 MILK

and my smb.conf file:
jserinki7 jserink # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]
#netbios name = MILK
workgroup = TNS
wins support = yes
hosts allow = 192.168.100. 127.0.0.
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384 IPTOS_LOWDELAY
use sendfile = yes
log level = 0 passdb:0 auth:0
client signing = auto
# need to add user with smbpasswd -a jserink
passdb backend = smbpasswd
#interfaces = tap0
interfaces = 192.168.100.1/24 127.0.0.1/24
security = user
max protocol = smb2
#client use spnego = No
server string = Samba Server %v
bind interfaces only = yes
#map to guest = Bad Password

[WINDOWSD]
path = /home/jserink/folders/InfraStructure/
valid users = jserink
read only = no
write list = jserink jserinkwin7
fstype = ext4
browsable = yes

[XEROX]
path = /home/jserink/xerox/
comment = directory for scans
valid users = xerox
write list = xerox
case sensitive = no
strict locking = no
guest ok = yes
read only = no
fstype = ext4

[WINDOWSF]
path = /home/jserink/folders/
valid users = jserink
read only = no
write list = jserink jserinkwin7
fstype = ext4

[WINDOWSG]
path = /home/jserink/folders/manual/
valid users = jserink
read only = no
write list = jserink
fstype = ext4

[HOME]
path = /home/jserink/
valid users = jserink
read only = no
write list = jserink
browsable = no

[WINDOWSE]
path = /home/jserink/shr/
valid users = jserink
read only = no
write list = jserink
fstype = ext4

#[IMBS]
#path = /mnt/IMBS2014
#valid users = jserink
#read only = yes

Looking for some trouble shooting tips here.

Cheers,
john
--
John Edward Serink