[Samba] Building on debian 8.6

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Dec 23 01:31:46 UTC 2016

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 07:24:05PM +0000, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Despite having used samba for many, many years, I have not built from
> source on Debian before. CentOS, yes.. Raspbian, yes.. but not Debian
> itself.
>
> I have installed Debian 8.6 from scratch:
> newserver:~/download/samba-4.5.2$ cat /etc/debian_version
> 8.6
> user at newserver:~/download/samba-4.5.2$ uname -a
> Linux newserver 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u2
> (2016-10-19) i686 GNU/Linux
>
> and have installed all required packages as per:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Dependencies_Required_to_Build_Samba#Debian_.2F_Ubuntu
>
> The build works perfectly up to a point.. then fails with a
> segmentation fault. Are there logs from the build process that I could
> look at, to try and figure out what's failing?
>
> user at newserver:~/download/samba-4.5.2$ make distclean && ./configure && make
Is there a reason you're using 'make distclean' rather than 'make
clean'? The latter wouldn't remove the bundled copy of smb.conf.5,
meaning you don't need to run xsltproc to rebuild it.

You probably only want 'make distclean' if you're doing development
work on Samba or e.g. a packager.

Cheers,

Jelmer